Wednesday, May 23, 2007

coffee dates

oh my God, it is not the meet for wine, the wine tasting, the after hours social but the coffee date which has emerged. "I will meet you for coffee. Let's meet for coffee. Where do you want to meet for coffee?"

Does no one meet for wine anymore? What is this? I love coffee and am totally over thinking this , these, invitations.

Does this mean I shouldn't indicate I like wine? Does this make me look like a wineo? It the price point too high of wine markup and this is a revolt? Should we have a drink instead? Do we want to keep our heads and just burst with caffeine over jitters compared to the narcolepsy of two glasses of wine? Or, is it economics, coffee for two: $5.00 unless one orders a tripple latte double shot espresso carmel with non fat soy.....ye gods. And wine, could be say, almost $15.00 for two decent glasses, maybe $6.00 if we order the equivalent of two buck chuck or the house wine. (yellow, pink, and red.) (think pee, blush and blood ) So, coffee it is.

Or wait! Maybe it is because we are in the Northwest; I don't think that in Boston they say, " let's meet for our first date over coffee. " I am sure they mean a drink. And In LA I am sure it means a drink and something with a small plastic animal or umbrella in the drink. By the way, why umbrellas? Why not small rickshaws, surfboards or Ferraris? I don't get it.

I think that coffee houses are considered safe, cheap and one can get in and out in 45 minutes to an hour. DOn't linger my girlfriends tell me. There seems to be a magic time to linger over coffee, one cannot say to the barrista, "fill er up," or to the waitress, "hey babe, we will have another. " the coffee cools and the coffee date is over.

Never mind that the coffee houses were sources of sedition in the late Renaissance or even the Regency era. Young blades, romantics, and political students would meet in Vienna, Istanbul, London, Boston, and talk over endless cups of coffee. Fueled by intellect-driven caffeine they would change the world. And later, the beats would thump their bongos and wear black and make wierd geometric shapes of their bodies and order espresso in the 50's.

So, coffee dates. Somewhat cheap, somewhat safe (what if they don't drink? How do I order wine? What to do, what to do?" and with an exit strategy when the latte skims over.

What to wear? Do your manicure, all will be above the waist anyway. Is there huge suginficance in ordering a double shot skinny? Is there political environmental symbolism in ordering soy over milk? Over non-hormone milk? Is the coffee shade grown? Free trade? Or, just hacked off the bush by overwhelmed and disfranchised poor Columbians with a small donkey? And the cup! There is more danger. Is the cup re-usable? If it is take-a-way, is the paper recyclable, not bleached? And what of the ambiance? Starbucks "you feel good chain driven bistro coolness", with jazz mix in the background. Or, local support your local coffee heads and business with no mix in the background. And, why is it usually women there? The coffee houses in Turkey are for men, and the coffee houses in Germany are frou frous of lace, coffee mit schlag and women who do lunch.

I give up.
I like coffee.
And I would rather meet on a first date over champagne or a stiff Scotch.
But I still anticpate.
Off to do my manicure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home